Friday, October 16, 2015

Reflecting on a Season of Outdoor Adventures: What Makes It All Worthwhile for Me

Atop Mount Whitney

Around this time of year I often find myself in the basement, getting my backpacking gear ready for winter storage. It's a bittersweet ritual I go through as the season comes to a close. If you love the outdoors like I do, you probably get asked from time to time, "Why do you do it?" After all, mother nature can be a tough mistress. As I unrolled my packs and checked my tents for damage, here are some of the moments from the last year that help me answer that question:

The best backpacking trips are also the toughest (I mean, if climbing mountains were easy, why would you do it?). The payoff is that surge of emotion when when you reach the highest summit, or that tender moment you share with friends when you find the perfect campsite at the end of a long day. Of course, having the right food along the way makes a big difference.

Jerky is my favorite protein-packed trail food, so I was excited to try a new product from Ball Park ('yep, you know 'em from the hot dog stand). They sent me a box of their new Tough but Tender Ball Park Flame Grilled Jerky (it's on shelves now); it's flame grilled (instead of dried like most jerky), with a uniquely tender texture that stands apart from other jerky. … Continue reading on ManMadeDIY.com



from Man Made DIY Recent Posts http://ift.tt/1Lf1VI8
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment